Interview Preparation & Post Mortem
You must read the show, the post mortem binder, and the following guidelines before your interview.
You are allowed to bring notes into your interview!
You are always welcome to request to have a question repeated or clarified.
In general, strive to answer questions with specific examples and ideas.
- It’s wonderful you want to improve communication / give your assistant responsibility / maintain or improve organization / etc, but what specific measures do you plan to take in order to achieve that?
- It’s awesome that you’re resourceful/organized/creative/etc, but what specific things have you done in the past or what specific ideas do you have right now which illustrate that?
Be prepared to answer questions about, but not limited to:
- Your motivation for interviewing for this position.
- Your past PDS or relevant external experience.
- Your ideas about this specific show.
- Your ideas for how to improve the process in the context of the position you’re interviewing for.
- Your capability as a leader.
- What you learned from the post mortem binder.
- What challenges you foresee for this specific show and how you plan to address them.
- Specific ideas for communication improvement.
- Your approach to time and stress management.
- For assistants, whether you plan to interview for the head position in the future and what you hope to learn from this process.
- For heads, specifics on how you will approach teaching your assistant.
- For artistic positions such as photographer and graphic designer, please bring in previous or relevant work.
- For design positions, you are not required to bring in previous or relevant work, but you are welcome to do so.
Players constantly strives to improve itself — learning from the successes and mistakes of every show. One of the main ways we do this is through Post Mortem. After a show closes – or post mortem – each member of the Production and Design Staff (PDS) submits a questionnaires detailing how they think that the show went and their strengths and failings so that future PDS members can learn from them and avoid making the same mistakes again. Until now, these Post Mortem questionnaire have been stored in Players’ iconic Post Mortem Binder. To allow more prospective members of PDS learn what they can do to put on a better show, we have now made an archive of the Post Mortem Binder available here. As we move into the future and complete more shows the Post Mortem questionnaires from future shows will appear here as each show closes.
Post Mortem questionnaires are organized by PDS position and are searchable by name and PDS position. Questions should be directed to Taylor Feld, Vice President.